The Duck Room



Click to Expand/Site Information

Welcome to The Duck Room. We're an old school Oregon Ducks fan site dedicated to our University of Oregon Ducks sports. This community is centered around sharing updates, news stories, and opinions, and thoughts related to Oregon Ducks sports.

One of the best things besides the great users we have on here is that The Duck Room is completely free. Always has been and always will be. Don't be shy as everyone can post your latest thoughts on the Ducks. Just see the few simple rules below.

1. Common sense community standards apply.
2. Posts of political nature of post that would lead to such matters do not belong here, there's a whole internet for that.
3. Fans of different teams are allowed here as are difference of options, however trolling is not tolerated.
4. We have to abide by copyright laws, which means quoting an articles story and posting links works. On the contrary copy and pasting entire copyrighted stories is against the rules.

Please feel free to reach out to the Administrator Phil or our site Mod oldretiredguy with any concerns or questions. Thank you everyone.


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/30/2019 8:55 pm  #1


Irony in college football coaching

This is not directly related to the Oregon Ducks; however, I can't help but this of a number of things related to the PAC-12 that have happened recently in college football coaching that calls out the irony of decisions made by the powers-that-be.

First up . . . Ed Orgeron.  He's currently the LSU HC.  One of the most ominous teams in college football.  When he was at USC, he stepped in when they fired Lane Kiffin.  Then, when faced with having to make a decision about the next permanent HC, USC decided to pass on having him stay on as HC.  He chose to leave.

Second up . . . Willie Taggart.  He slides into Oregon and does okay.  But, his departure was sleazy and FSU offered him a five-year, $30 million contract.  He didn't produce results and they fired him midway through his second season.

Third up . . . Scott Frost.  As many, if not all, of you remember was Oregon OC and QB coach.  He took off for the HC job at UCF.  He took a 0-12 team and immediately turned them around to 11-0 in his second season.  Then Nebraska came knocking.    So far in two years, he's 9-15.  Yet, Nebraska still extended Frost's original seven-year, $35-million contract to run through December 31, 2016.  

I have never been a big fan of Scott Frost.  I believe as a first-time OC at Oregon that they should have had someone else focused on the QBs.  But, they handed him both.  He didn't seem to develop a replacement for Mariota and skipped town as the heat was getting turned up.

With USC and FSU, I can't help but sing "Who's sorry now?"  USC could have had Orgeron and I believe they made a serious mistake when they didn't hand him the HC position.  And why anyone would offer Taggart five-year, $30 million contract at FSU is beyond me.  Then, I wonder why Nebraska extended Frost's contract bewilders me too.

What have I missed.

 

12/30/2019 9:18 pm  #2


Re: Irony in college football coaching

Pete wrote:

This is not directly related to the Oregon Ducks; however, I can't help but this of a number of things related to the PAC-12 that have happened recently in college football coaching that calls out the irony of decisions made by the powers-that-be.

First up . . . Ed Orgeron.  He's currently the LSU HC.  One of the most ominous teams in college football.  When he was at USC, he stepped in when they fired Lane Kiffin.  Then, when faced with having to make a decision about the next permanent HC, USC decided to pass on having him stay on as HC.  He chose to leave.

Second up . . . Willie Taggart.  He slides into Oregon and does okay.  But, his departure was sleazy and FSU offered him a five-year, $30 million contract.  He didn't produce results and they fired him midway through his second season.

Third up . . . Scott Frost.  As many, if not all, of you remember was Oregon OC and QB coach.  He took off for the HC job at UCF.  He took a 0-12 team and immediately turned them around to 11-0 in his second season.  Then Nebraska came knocking.    So far in two years, he's 9-15.  Yet, Nebraska still extended Frost's original seven-year, $35-million contract to run through December 31, 2016.  

I have never been a big fan of Scott Frost.  I believe as a first-time OC at Oregon that they should have had someone else focused on the QBs.  But, they handed him both.  He didn't seem to develop a replacement for Mariota and skipped town as the heat was getting turned up.

With USC and FSU, I can't help but sing "Who's sorry now?"  USC could have had Orgeron and I believe they made a serious mistake when they didn't hand him the HC position.  And why anyone would offer Taggart five-year, $30 million contract at FSU is beyond me.  Then, I wonder why Nebraska extended Frost's contract bewilders me too.

What have I missed.

I don’t think anything. You’ve spelled it out pretty accurately.

In defense of Scott Frost though; he’ll get more slack than anyone else... if he can get the ship righted he’ll be a lifer for the Huskers.

 

Board footera