Offline
Happy New Year's everyone! I'll be busy in the kitchen in the morning so I figured I'd post tonight and update any injury news or anything in the morning.
You had Mario beating Ohio State? I honestly didn't even though I felt before the playoffs started and certainly afterwards that having a whole month off is a disadvantage. Surprisingly Mario didn't play Mario ball and screwup the second half. I have no love for Miami and am at best neutral towards Mario, however I'm still glad they won. Who wants to see a Ducks vs. Miami Championship?
One game at a time as the No. 5 Oregon Ducks face the No. 4 Texas Tech Red Raiders at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami Gardens, Florida, with kickoff set for 9 AM. PT (12 PM. ET).
Weather in Miami could not be better for the game as it's predicted to be sunny and in the mid-sixties. With the Raiders top run I think the good weather will help the Ducks pass game and speed that may give the Raiders trouble like they haven't seen this year.
The game features a high-stakes clash between Oregon’s potent offense, ranked second nationally in rushing yards per carry (5.9), and Texas Tech’s elite defense, which leads the nation in rushing defense, allowing just 68.5 yards per game.
Oregon is favored by 2.5 points, with the over/under set at 51.5. I find it a good sign the line moved in Oregon's direction since opening.
Oregon enters the game with a 12-1 record, having defeated James Madison 51-34 in the first round of the CFP, showcasing their offensive firepower with quarterback Dante Moore, who ranks fifth nationally in passer rating (170.1) and third in completion percentage (72.4%).
The Ducks’ running game, led by Noah Whittington, Jordon Davison, and Dierre Hill Jr., averages 217 rushing yards per game and has been a key component of their success.
Texas Tech, also 12-1, boasts the nation’s top-ranked defense, allowing only 10.9 points and 254.4 yards per game, with linebacker Jacob Rodriguez (117 tackles) and transfer David Bailey (13.5 sacks) anchoring the unit. They're without a doubt really good, but they have only faced 1 top 50 offense all season.
The Red Raiders’ offense, led by quarterback Behren Morton, ranks second nationally in points per game (42.5) and features a receiving corps, including Caleb Douglas, Reggie Virgil, and Terrance Carter. Reggie Virgil is their #1 WR.
Analysts are divided, with some predicting a tight, low-scoring game due to Texas Tech’s defensive dominance, while others believe Oregon’s offensive depth and experience will prevail. Most of the people in college football that I follow are predicting a Ducks victory.
Oregon’s defense, ranked sixth nationally in passing yards allowed (158.1 per game), will face a test against Texas Tech’s efficient passing attack, though the Ducks have shown resilience against elite receivers minus Indiana. Indiana kind of went for broke and I expect the Raiders to try to be aggressive as well. As mentioned in other post the Raiders aren't good in the redzone though.
Texas Tech’s ability to limit Oregon’s ground game will be critical, as the Red Raiders have held opponents under 150 rushing yards in key matchups. If the Ducks can get the run game going they'll be in big trouble.
What your keys to the game?
The game is available on ESPN and streaming options including Fubo, DirecTV. Sling TV has a day pass option for $4.99.
Let's get the party started, Go Ducks
Offline
You can really see the Raiders speed upfront. Not perfect, but I’ll take that start and what a kick by Atticus.
Offline
Pretty much all defense so far. Ducks really missed on capitalizing on that pick. Need another!
GO DUCKS !!
Offline
Going backwards on sacks, penalties, and runs, really are making things tough.
Offline
Phil wrote:
Going backwards on sacks, penalties, and runs, really are making things tough.
Indeed.
But that fake for the first made up for it! Lanning the gambler is alive and well in Miami!
Offline
All right defense! Now let’s get a score before halftime
Offline
Didn’t like that play call at the goal line. Not a fan of going to the short side of the field, too compressed an area.
Now we need to score after that fumble recovery!
Offline
Hats off to the defense.
On the offensive side I kind of feel like the Penn State first half in that everything is tough sledding and they've driven the ball some. Problem being is they've left a lot of points on the board and there's been a few questionable plays. Some of the mistakes like the snaps have been frustrating and not what you'd expect.
Texas Tech doesn't have a huge rotation and I'm thinking their defense is going to gas in the second.
Go Ducks!
Offline
Glad Lanning went for the FG on that previous drive. Sap is ice and we needed any points. While the O has shown some flash, they have self imploded a couple times in botched snaps and holding. We just need to stay to plan and push for the down filed opening.
Both D are playing tough. Advantage Ducks on the turnovers. I would like one more Sucks favor.
Offline
Touchdown touchdown touchdown!!!
Offline
Phil wrote:
Touchdown touchdown touchdown!!!
Finally! Davison!
Offline
DurangoDuck wrote:
Phil wrote:
Touchdown touchdown touchdown!!!
Finally! Davison!
Do you have some special celebratory scotch for the game?
Offline
Phil wrote:
DurangoDuck wrote:
Phil wrote:
Touchdown touchdown touchdown!!!
Finally! Davison!
Do you have some special celebratory scotch for the game?
Staring at it!
Offline
That was a big win! Defense played stellar against a top offense. Finney is a stud and literally grabbed every opportunity he had. The front created havoc all game with just four rushing. Sacks, TFL’s and that beautiful strip sack.
The offense moved the ball but due to Tech’s tough D they bogged down in close. I’m glad Lanning leaned on Sap as he is ice. Bummer he missed that last one.
And I’m all for that last score. Screw this knee thing. You play to win and score every chance you get! As evidenced by Tech running the ball out instead of the touchback.
Offline
This is the kind of game we were looking for the defense under
Dan Lanning to really step up.
Hopefully Dante isn't hurt after taking all those hits. Plenty of things to work on and feel good about at the same time.