Offline
What a great moment in history to be a Ducks fans. Most teams only can dream about a run for a championship.
What day is this? Everything seems thrown way off with the holiday Thursday then back to work for a day and now it's the weekend. One of the more confusing parts is that it's Saturday and there is no college football. I really liked what Dan said about playing every game Saturday for the playoffs and taking it back from the NFL. Unfortunately it probably makes too much sense for college football to put in place.
Iron sharpens iron. Sort of an overplayed and oversimplified analogy, but this seemed very true against TT. Thank goodness we still don't have a 4 game playoff. That was a major reason a number of fans suggested we shouldn't join the B1G because the best path to the playoffs is to play inferior competition without the big bodies of the B1G. Problem being is how do you expect to win a playoff game without going against a high level of competition? This probably hurt TT a lot and made them overconfident. This is why judging TT before the game seemed a little trickier because nobody knew how they would play against a team they hadn't seen in Oregon.
Hats off to the Ducks defense. I can't say enough about how they brought it all game.
Putting aside the play of last game I'll give some credit to the officials. I'm not saying they didn't miss some calls, but things were good. I was really hoping we wouldn't get one of those group of officials from the SEC that throw a pass inference call on every other play. Calls of offsides and holds mostly seemed like good calls and they went both ways.
On the flipside I'm not a fan of ESPN. The pregame lineup is not enjoyable with Pat seeming better suited to covering pro wrestling, which by the way he's a fan of. Maybe I’m just a prude and he represents the same fans that enjoy commercials about a guy who can’t stop barking at his boss? Nah, just annoying. Saban who lacks personality and puts you to sleep. The camera missed some big plays when the broadcast wasn't ready for the hurry up plays. The announcers seemed to not notice or care when some of the players were down hurt. I've seen worst broadcast this year, but this was not great and I wish the next game wansn't another ESPN broadcast.
With the whole iron sharpens iron analogy I'm really hoping what looked like the best defense in college football will help improve the Ducks offense for Indiana. I'm trying not to be nit picky going against the best defense, but it's hard not to see some flaws. The snaps and penalties need to be better. Dante needs to get rid of the ball sooner. Unfortunately he was missing some open receivers downfield and taking big hits way back. He's not the greatest scrambler nor good at throwing the ball away. Again, some of the fastest LB's in the nation were coming unblocked. Another concern for me is that the Ducks have all these weapons on offense, but the play calling isn't helping when you face a top defense. All the passes behind the line of scrimmage can work with the Ducks players we have and their athleticism against an average defense. The good news is the Ducks have such great athletic receivers and Dante throws one of the best catchable balls in the nation.
Let's get the run going against Indiana. For as good as they are I don't their run defense as nearly as good as TT. If they can keep that going we don't even have to worry as much about throwing sideways passes.
Getting back to Dante I think he has a better arm than our last couple QB's, which is saying a lot since our last couple QB's play on Sundays. That being said he's not as a good of a runner and the RPO plays was something that Bo could do to bail out a play without any open receivers.
Indiana went for broke a lot against the Ducks and they came up big. I think the Ducks secondary has improved and they will be ready this time. Indiana seems to be content running the football in recent games. Alabama couldn't stop them. I'd expect Indiana will see if the Ducks can stop the run.
Indiana has been so consistent and efficient on offense that the Ducks can't expect the defense to simply win the game for them. I feel like the Ducks need 30 or something like at least 27 points to win this game. I could see something like a 27-24 Ducks victory. Keeping Indiana under 25 points seems like a reasonable goal.
I like the Ducks chances if both sides show up and Stein improves just a little bit. We'll see as this Indiana team is the team to beat and a really darn good team.
What's your thoughts and takes?