Offline
Everything is on the line for what seems to me to be the most important game of the season. The No. 20 Oregon Ducks are playing the No. 12 USC Trojans (4-0) at the Memorial Coliseum. I think Mac said he'll be in the stands. The game kicks off at 4:30 PM PST and will be broadcast nationally on NBC and streamed on Peacock.
Weather: It still feels like summer at Memorial with a high of 90. The temps should be down in the lower 80s by kickoff though.
Key Storylines and Matchups:
Quarterback Duel: The game features a high-profile clash between Dante Moore and Jayden Maiava, with both offenses averaging high point totals and defenses showing vulnerabilities. As a Ducks fan, we're waiting to see Dante step up and start finding some of the talented receivers rather than throw into coverages.
Oregon O-line: Can they by Dante some more time, that he seems to thrive on? The first thing is getting Jordan going in the run game. So far the line hasn't done a good job of creating any holes to run up the middle.
USC's play calling: As I posted a few days ago, USC is running plays from the shotgun and also running a lot on first down despite not having a lot of success. If the Ducks D can stop the run early, this will bode well for them as even if Oregon has a great offense, you cannot get into a shoot out on the road in my opinion.
Coaching Rivalry: Oregon head coach Dan Lanning faces USC’s Lincoln Riley for the first time away from Eugene; Lanning is 2-0 against Riley, with both previous victories coming at Autzen Stadium.
Injury Report: Oregon will be without key receiver Jeremiah McClellan, and USC is likely missing star freshman Trent Mosley and wideout Corey Simms. Tight end Jamari Johnson is listed as questionable although I believe DL said he is likely to return.
Betting Lines: Oregon is a 3-point road favorite with a game total (over/under) set around 61.5 points, reflecting expectations for a high-scoring shootout. While USC is really talented like the Ducks and playing at home, people that watched them play Rutgers seem to say they didn't look good last week. To be honest considering USC is at home, I'm almost surprised by the spread. Not to say that I don't think the Ducks can and will win.
Oregon has had Liconln Riley's and USC's number. It's been a true pleasure seeing them cry over not getting every recruit like old times and then not being able to run away from us to a different conference.
Offline
That would've been a more feel good game and ending if it wasn't for Dante getting hit and hurt like that. Say what you will about the fuskies and their fans, yet I've never seen anything that dirty or a celebration like that.
Hat's off the Dylan for coming in there and making throws like that under pressure. It seems like he reads the field way better and gets the ball out quickly. I also heard DL say that Dylan had texted him after watching film on USC on his own time and had some things the Ducks could use. Pretty impressive considering he thought he wouldn't being playing in the game and yet to invested in research and prep.
I have a lot of thoughts on the game, but without anyone posting and most people coming to the site being unlogged I might as well not waste my time. If you're reading this and still want post and content I'm happy to oblige.