All About Oregon Ducks

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/25/2024 5:40 pm  #1

Bo Drafted at #12 to Broncos

I'm glad to see Bo get drafted early to the Broncos. He can learn under Sean Payton. Who thought Bo would be picked #12 when he came to the Ducks? 

Pac-12 QB's just went 1,8, and 12. What a way to go out. 

Jackson Powers-Johnson and Troy Franklin are in play to be picked in the 1st round. 

I've always been a lifelong Bears fan as my NFL team just like the Ducks have always been my college team. Hence the reason I've been paying attention to this draft. They just drafted Caleb Williams at #1 and Rome Odunze at  #9. It's wild to see so many Pac players go early like this. 

Go Ducks!

4/26/2024 4:26 pm  #2

Re: Bo Drafted at #12 to Broncos

Wonderful for Bo! So proud of him. I'm hoping he has a long and great career as he's one of my all-time favorite Ducks.

I'm ambivalent about the Bears, but I'm ambivalent about the NFL in general. The NFL is distant 6th in my Sports-fan hierarchy:

College Football
College Basketball
MLB
NHL
PGA Golf
NFL
NBA

I hope Williams works out for Bears fans, Phil.
Persoanlly, I've always thought he was a classless punk. And he showed it in many ways. I always root against guys like that.

Sorry. 

Last edited by Duckball (4/26/2024 4:34 pm)

4/27/2024 12:29 pm  #3

New record..7 Ducks drafted. Nice recruiting tool for Coach Lanning!

4/27/2024 2:32 pm  #4

very happy for Bo, and for the rest of Ducks drafted. and very surprised. I share the concerns expressed by several national columnists & commentators; Bo hasn't shown he can make the full complement of NFL throws. deep balls, medium balls, red-zone clotheslines. I've got to think an elite NFL defense could take away his strengths and make him beat them with his weaknesses (vide UO v UGA Sept 2022).

but . . . we just watched a Super Bowl w maybe four balls thrown past 25 yards. and noodle-armed dental student Jake Browning actually started several games for the Bengals. there's a dearth of quality QBs in the NFL right now (six taken w first 12 picks, or something like that). and maybe the pro game is changing, Mahomes brought a college-game skill-set from TTech, and he's now got three SB rings.

bigger story here is the effect of NIL and the transfer portal on the college game. lots of people poo-poo'd Bo's decision to return for another year. Dante Moore switched his commit from UO to BruCru cuz he wanted to start right away. but nowadays a player can return to college for another year, earn a coupla million, and dramatically improve his draft stock and eventual signing bonus. Dorlus made a good decision to return, as well.
so the measure of a good coaching staff & successful program might be less the high school recruits they harvest or the transfer players they lure, and more how successful they are at keeping their own guys happy and willing to return for another year.

4/28/2024 2:49 pm  #5

Much was made in this draft about players being drafted in later rounds because they were "older."  While Covid rules aided that, so did NIL.  Good and great underclassmen in the past that declared so as to get paid can now return and use more eligibility to get paid while earning more credits/degrees and maybe improving their draft stock. 

Without NIL, Bo and Dorlus would have been gone after the '22 season.  Same with many other players on every single program.

Bottom line, the new Blue Bloods are the programs with the best NIL collectives that pair with coaching staffs who know how to recruit their team, the portal and HS players.  The Ducks at this time are in great shape under the new conditions out there, just gotta get the X's and O's in order once the pieces are in place...

4/29/2024 10:29 am  #6

4/30/2024 10:29 am  #7

Ducks secondary lost Khyree and Evan Williams; looks solid this year, esp w the addition of Jabbar Muhammad. lots of talent & experience. good set of LBs. two excellent rush-ends in J Burch and Matayo Uggs.
big losses in the interior D-line that will be hard to replace. B1G football is all about the line-of-scrimmage, as UW found out in the NC game. Ducks high-octane O won't be scoring any points if they're on the sidelines watching the other team move the chains and eat the clock.
biggest challenge I see for Lanning, Tosh, and Tony Tuioti, who's been w Lanning since the beginning. no amount of scheming can compensate for the inability to stop the run.

Board footera