All About Oregon Ducks

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/03/2022 12:27 pm  #31

Re: oliveducks Needs Your Help

DurangoDuck wrote:

Branding is one of things that not many people think of. Until they one day realize some names work, and others just don’t. Many a story of failed products, efforts, launches, etc. due to poor branding. If we can, I think it should change. This site really isn’t “all about” Oregon Ducks. It’s a small and passionate group of fans that enjoy talking Duck sports. (To that end I think we need folders or sub-headings for different sports. Maybe they get started as interest gains. I can think of basketball and baseball to start). If we want this thing to grow, melding in baseball with football might be a tough slog)

Here’s the new guy blathering on!

I like several of your first pass list. Thanks for taking a stab at it. Initially I like “House of Ducks” and “The Duck Room”.  Gotta have Ducks in the name, both House and Room have an intimate and informal feel of smaller size to them. I suppose you could substitute Quack for Duck as well. I have an aversion to Webfoot from the horrible throwback uni’s we wore years ago.

I’ll leave it at that until we know if it’s even possible.

I encourage everyone reading to throw out ideas as well, and be sure to include the corny ones like I did - you never know what will inspire more and better ideas. 😆

11/03/2022 12:56 pm  #32

Hey Phil, haven't been on the site much because my work responsibilities have changed and I no longer stare at a computer 8 hours a day.  I guess I'm one of the lurkers you mentioned. I check in to see what's being talked about occasionally and once in a great while I  still post something. As for Facebook, my wife started a Facebook page a while back about snowmen of all things.   We now have almost 600 members from 49 countries. It is however exactly as you said, 1% frequent posters, about 10% infrequent posters and the rest apparently just look. Anyway,  if we could get 600 on a page about  snowmen, I'm sure a page for comments on all things Ducks would draw a lot more.  The downside would be spam and trolls.

11/03/2022 1:35 pm  #33

Uncle Moron wrote:

Hey Phil, haven't been on the site much because my work responsibilities have changed and I no longer stare at a computer 8 hours a day. I guess I'm one of the lurkers you mentioned. I check in to see what's being talked about occasionally and once in a great while I still post something. As for Facebook, my wife started a Facebook page a while back about snowmen of all things. We now have almost 600 members from 49 countries. It is however exactly as you said, 1% frequent posters, about 10% infrequent posters and the rest apparently just look. Anyway, if we could get 600 on a page about snowmen, I'm sure a page for comments on all things Ducks would draw a lot more. The downside would be spam and trolls.

Hey UM, good to see ya!!

11/03/2022 5:52 pm  #34

DurangoDuck wrote:

Branding is one of things that not many people think of. Until they one day realize some names work, and others just don’t. Many a story of failed products, efforts, launches, etc. due to poor branding. If we can, I think it should change. This site really isn’t “all about” Oregon Ducks. It’s a small and passionate group of fans that enjoy talking Duck sports. (To that end I think we need folders or sub-headings for different sports. Maybe they get started as interest gains. I can think of basketball and baseball to start). If we want this thing to grow, melding in baseball with football might be a tough slog)

Here’s the new guy blathering on!

I like several of your first pass list. Thanks for taking a stab at it. Initially I like “House of Ducks” and “The Duck Room”. Gotta have Ducks in the name, both House and Room have an intimate and informal feel of smaller size to them. I suppose you could substitute Quack for Duck as well. I have an aversion to Webfoot from the horrible throwback uni’s we wore years ago.

I’ll leave it at that until we know if it’s even possible.

Adding separate threads for other sports is always something on the rader and I'm up for giving it a go. Basketball is a definite ad for sure. Some time ago we had a few baseball post so we could give it a try. With a small group the thought was everyone would always be in the same thread, but I think adding a few more is worth a go. I just don't want to get out of hand with the number of separate threads. I'll see other sites with tons of threads that nobody's commented on in ages and it ends up just seeming a little bit cluttered. I should have some time to work on it later tonight.

Webfoot isn't my thing either ha ha! I still haven't heard back yet so I'm going to hold off on thinking about a new name too much even though I do have some favorites. 

Thanks for the suggestions and feedback DurangoDuck  

11/03/2022 6:01 pm  #35

Uncle Moron wrote:

Hey Phil, haven't been on the site much because my work responsibilities have changed and I no longer stare at a computer 8 hours a day. I guess I'm one of the lurkers you mentioned. I check in to see what's being talked about occasionally and once in a great while I still post something. As for Facebook, my wife started a Facebook page a while back about snowmen of all things. We now have almost 600 members from 49 countries. It is however exactly as you said, 1% frequent posters, about 10% infrequent posters and the rest apparently just look. Anyway, if we could get 600 on a page about snowmen, I'm sure a page for comments on all things Ducks would draw a lot more. The downside would be spam and trolls.

Hey UM! Good to see you around. I remember the good old days of commenting in the paper.

FB would be a way to attract members. At this point there's been a lot of feedback in favor of not going to any type of social media. Rather than leave a lot of people out on here it seems like keeping this group together that acts as a niche site makes sense. I'm all for using FB or any other social media to promote the site though.

I'm really hoping we can change the ULR on here and then make some improvements and promote things more. 

Hope to see you around more when you have the time and thanks for checking in. 

11/03/2022 8:10 pm  #36

Uncle Moron wrote:

Hey Phil, haven't been on the site much because my work responsibilities have changed and I no longer stare at a computer 8 hours a day.  I guess I'm one of the lurkers you mentioned. I check in to see what's being talked about occasionally and once in a great while I  still post something. As for Facebook, my wife started a Facebook page a while back about snowmen of all things.   We now have almost 600 members from 49 countries. It is however exactly as you said, 1% frequent posters, about 10% infrequent posters and the rest apparently just look. Anyway,  if we could get 600 on a page about  snowmen, I'm sure a page for comments on all things Ducks would draw a lot more.  The downside would be spam and trolls.

Nice story about your wife starting a Facebook page 😁

I don't think FB is inherently good or bad but like many aspects in life...it is what you make of it.

My primary reason for being on FB(the only social media I do) is to keep in touch with high school, U of O and pathway of life friends! To that endeavor it has been a huge success and lots of fun.

First of all, someone can only be my "Friend" on there if I allow them to be and second, if their content is annoying they can be unfriended or unfollowed. I control what I want to see.

So I have never understood all the anti-Facebook ranting and raving. No reason to complain about what I have the power to manage!😁

And no this group doesn't need FB...there is plenty of good Oregon Duck action already on it...I just suggested it as an option to keep AND grow the group.

11/04/2022 9:58 am  #37

Big shout out to whoever updated the format … folder organization rules!! 🙏 🙏

As a lifelong OCD’er this is a huge improvement in my eyes. Hoping it will help all.

I’ve actually been using the desktop format on my iPhone, turned horizontally. Not as good as laptop for sure, but then my pants aren’t (yet) big enough to hold my MacBook in the pocket. 🙄🫣

11/04/2022 10:08 am  #38

DurangoDuck wrote:

Big shout out to whoever updated the format … folder organization rules!! 🙏 🙏

As a lifelong OCD’er this is a huge improvement in my eyes. Hoping it will help all.

I’ve actually been using the desktop format on my iPhone, turned horizontally. Not as good as laptop for sure, but then my pants aren’t (yet) big enough to hold my MacBook in the pocket. 🙄🫣

Your welcome, glad to hear it! Thanks for the suggestion as I always appreciate feedback on how to make things better.

I'm juggling work and getting ready to leave for vacation tomorrow so I'll be posting more updates and whatnot when I'm able. 

Thank you DurangoDuck 

Board footera