The Duck Room



Click to Expand/Site Information

Welcome to The Duck Room. We're an old school Oregon Ducks fan site dedicated to our University of Oregon Ducks sports. This community is centered around sharing updates, news stories, and opinions, and thoughts related to Oregon Ducks sports.

One of the best things besides the great users we have on here is that The Duck Room is completely free. Always has been and always will be. Don't be shy as everyone can post your latest thoughts on the Ducks. Just see the few simple rules below.

1. Common sense community standards apply.
2. Posts of political nature of post that would lead to such matters do not belong here, there's a whole internet for that.
3. Fans of different teams are allowed here as are difference of options, however trolling is not tolerated.
4. We have to abide by copyright laws, which means quoting an articles story and posting links works. On the contrary copy and pasting entire copyrighted stories is against the rules.

Please feel free to reach out to the Administrator Phil or our site Mod oldretiredguy with any concerns or questions. Thank you everyone.


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/01/2020 7:15 pm  #1


Pac 12 players going on strike?

 

8/01/2020 9:10 pm  #2


Re: Pac 12 players going on strike?

There are tangible points of which they can try to negotiate, but world peace through racial harmony and the guaranteed end to racism in all its forms as the cornerstone of their position is suspect.  Need a whole heckuva lot more info on this “group” and it’s leadership and membership before throwing the baby out with the bath water and dismissing it as nothing more than a publicity stunt or power play.  Reminds me of the ending of the movie Sneakers...

 

8/02/2020 10:18 am  #3


Re: Pac 12 players going on strike?

There may not be a season to even opt out of anyway. As I mentioned in the schedule thread the number of players involved in this seemed unclear with the Oregonian mentioning hundreds, Yahoo stating very few, and a Twitter post claiming 50. I guess we'll know a lot more tomorrow.

 

8/02/2020 12:30 pm  #4


Re: Pac 12 players going on strike?

If they want to bring politics into football, that's their right.  But I don't have to watch them anymore.  Screw them all.

 

8/02/2020 5:50 pm  #5


 

8/02/2020 6:39 pm  #6


Re: Pac 12 players going on strike?

kids are being asked to risk their lives--more likely the lives of Mom, Dad, & Grandma when they go home for a visit infected and asymptomatic--so that ESPN can sell Dr. Pepper and Bud Light. and everybody collects the $$ but the players. they've got a little more leverage here than undocumented meat-packers in Iowa.
other stuff seems out of scope to me, but I'm not them. safety has to be the primary concern. I don't think I'd 100 percent trust the word of the suits with millions of $$ at stake either.

 

8/03/2020 6:03 am  #7


Re: Pac 12 players going on strike?

It’s a game of chicken now with the conferences to see who blinks first to cancel the season.  This is a time that truly begs fir leadership and the NCAA simply has none...

 

8/03/2020 8:21 am  #8


Re: Pac 12 players going on strike?

Hope they've thought this through.  Whether or not you agree with their positions, this could have ramifications on their NFL draft status.  Top players will certainly still go high, but a mid round guy, maybe not.  The last thing the NFL wants are more agitators.

 

8/03/2020 8:10 pm  #9


Re: Pac 12 players going on strike?

https://theundefeated.com/features/pac-12-followed-the-money-and-found-a-movement/

Not a peep from the Oregonian today on the situation? Canzano must be trying to write some whopper of an article!

I was glad to hear the Ducks players say the organization is doing it right on safety and I heard Stanford is too. I guess some of the schools aren't testing weekly. The players certainly shouldn't have to play if they're concerned about safety and matters aren't being addressed properly. I'm lucky to be working from home right now and certainly wouldn't criticize a player for not wanting to risk it.

It sounds like the movement has been in the works for a while and spans a good number of teams and players. The amount of money being made on football has been skyrocketing. In the past a scholarship might have been a reasonable exchange. I think it's reasonable to expect some composition and at the very least they should be allowed to make money off their own endorsements.The NCAA has really dragged their feet on the matter.  As far as the other demands I've never liked the idea of bringing politics or other issues into sports, but like OMM said I'm not them. Perhaps I'd have a different perspective on matters if I was walking in their shoes.     

 

 

8/04/2020 8:59 am  #10


Re: Pac 12 players going on strike?

Canzano with my same reaction to the "strike." The demand of 50% revenue would put all other sports out of business. The average net generated revenue is about -2.6 million per athletic department for power 5 schools. Not really sure what they are trying to accomplish with that.
https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/john_canzano/2020/08/canzano-pac-12-player-boycott-hits-the-target-but-also-misses-the-mark.html
http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/research/finances-intercollegiate-athletics-database
 

 

8/04/2020 3:02 pm  #11


Re: Pac 12 players going on strike?

 

Board footera