The Duck Room



Click to Expand/Site Information

Welcome to The Duck Room. We're an old school Oregon Ducks fan site dedicated to our University of Oregon Ducks sports. This community is centered around sharing updates, news stories, and opinions, and thoughts related to Oregon Ducks sports.

One of the best things besides the great users we have on here is that The Duck Room is completely free. Always has been and always will be. Don't be shy as everyone can post your latest thoughts on the Ducks. Just see the few simple rules below.

1. Common sense community standards apply.
2. Posts of political nature of post that would lead to such matters do not belong here, there's a whole internet for that.
3. Fans of different teams are allowed here as are difference of options, however trolling is not tolerated.
4. We have to abide by copyright laws, which means quoting an articles story and posting links works. On the contrary copy and pasting entire copyrighted stories is against the rules.

Please feel free to reach out to the Administrator Phil or our site Mod oldretiredguy with any concerns or questions. Thank you everyone.


You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/24/2021 8:32 am  #1


NIL

Year One and I am not impressed so far.  The only player seeming to live up to the dollars being paid is the QB out at 'Bama.  The rest of the high profile players being paid buckets of cash have performed underwhelmingly to date- KT among them if I can be so bold.  

My real concern is that with players receiving sponsor cash that this will trickle down to reduced giving to athletic departments, which will trigger more increases to the price of tickets and concessions to a game anymore.  And like at Autzen, where you no longer have re-entry privileges it can really spike the cost to attend a game.  

What does this all look like in five years?  Ten?  

 

9/24/2021 1:52 pm  #2


Re: NIL

Jiffy Jeff wrote:

Year One and I am not impressed so far.  The only player seeming to live up to the dollars being paid is the QB out at 'Bama.  The rest of the high profile players being paid buckets of cash have performed underwhelmingly to date- KT among them if I can be so bold.  

My real concern is that with players receiving sponsor cash that this will trickle down to reduced giving to athletic departments, which will trigger more increases to the price of tickets and concessions to a game anymore.  And like at Autzen, where you no longer have re-entry privileges it can really spike the cost to attend a game.  

What does this all look like in five years?  Ten?  

When the discussion about players first began, I did feel they deserved help if needed...I never realized it would get to this. I'm afraid we are seeing the slow demise of college sports. How much will the "Big Uglies" get..the ones without whom no QB or RB can be successful? I dunno. 
 

 

9/24/2021 10:16 pm  #3


Re: NIL

I am unwilling to pass judgement barely a month into the season. Nor do I believe it represents the end of college sports.

Will college sports be different? Yes but different doesn't mean the end.

What I do know is athletes have been paid ILLEGALLY for decades and the NCAA was a terrible administrator of the rules regarding those illegalities and all related issues.

Which begs the question if college sports didn't end with illegal payments, cheating and a host of other problems with an inept organization (NCAA) overseeing it...why would it end with "legal" money?

College sports is "big business" and honestly I think the NIL gives athletes an opportunity to  work and live in that "business world." Sounds like a good college education to me... certainly more realistic than reading a text book.

And just like the "real" business world...if the athletes don't pay attention to their business skills(the sports they play) they will see the opportunities disappear...playing time, sponsors, reputation and so forth.

 

9/30/2021 4:06 pm  #4


Re: NIL

 

Board footera